Hire Terms And Procedures
Upon completing the reservation form, submit it to us and our office will contact you as soon as possible, as to availability. If the houseboat you are requiring is available for the period, we will send payment details to you to confirm your reservation/booking.
BOOKING DEPOSITS – $500 booking deposit required ($250 for Runaway Bear and $1000 for Pacific Blue) we accept credit card, cheque, money order, direct deposit or cash, we will email you a confirmation package or if you’d prefer we can mail you a copy, including a river map and other details of things you will need to know.
The balance of the hire fee is required 30 days prior to departure for Off Peak and Normal Season charter periods. For Christmas, New Year and Easter bookings, full payment is required 90 days prior to departure. If full payment is not received by this time, the vessel may be opened for re-letting.
Hire Fee Payment
The FULL HIRE FEE is required prior to departure.
SECURITY BOND – $2000 security bond is required on the day of departure ($1000 for Runaway Bear, Pluto, Misty Blue and Wanderer). Payment of security bond on the day may be made by cash, credit card (Mastercard or Visa are accepted) and Eftpos. Alternatively, a Pre-Authorisation can be taken. Please note that a Pre-Authorisation will freeze the funds on your credit card for up to 14 days. As our bank only guarantees to hold the funds for 5 business days, pre-auth facilities for hires longer than a week will not be available. Direct deposit options are also available, however, this needs to clear our account prior to the day.
Forty-Five (45) Days Notice – Refund in Full. Thereafter the deposit is forfeited unless the boat is rebooked for full price. Thirty (30) days or less – deposit and balance of hire forfeited, unless the boat is rebooked for full price.
For special hires, Easter, Christmas and New Year, 90 days notice required for refund, unless the boat is rebooked for full price.
A $100 cancellation/administration fee applies.
In regards to Covid-19, we have written a new cancellation policy, which differs from our normal cancellation policy:
- If we are not permitted to allow customers aboard due to COVID-19, we will offer a full credit towards a later booking.
- If our immediate areas are placed into lockdown with no non-essential travel, we will offer a full credit towards a later booking.
- If you find that for some reason you end up being directed to isolate by authorities without a lockdown, we will offer a postponement to another suitable date on a standby basis.
- If we are able to rebook the houseboat, we would offer a refund under our standard policy.
Please note that an administration fee would still apply in the event of a refund being issued.
We do not offer refunds or credits in the case of non-fine weather conditions that are considered to be non-dangerous, i.e. if it is simply overcast, windy or rainy.
In the rare event that severe and or dangerous weather conditions are declared by us during your charter, your boat movements may be restricted or your boat may be recalled back to base for safety reasons. In this case, all houseboats will be docked in the marina until further notice. No refunds or credits can be given in this situation.
In the unlikely event that a severe and or dangerous weather condition is declared by us, we will not refund but offer a credit to you and allow the credit to be applied to another non-peak time as agreed to by you and us. We will allow up to 24 months for the credit to be used, giving you ample time to reschedule.
Our management will, at their discretion and after consulting with all relevant authorities, decide what is non-fair, severe and or dangerous weather.
At Berger Houseboat Holidays, we always have the safety and well-being of our customers and staff as a priority and as members of our family, the houseboats in our fleet are also our concern. As you know we are unable to control the weather any more than the next person, however, we will work with you as best we can to manage weather situations.
We do recommend that you consider the option of Travel Insurance for your houseboat adventure, particularly if you are unable to postpone. It is a small cost for peace of mind. Travel Insurance should also cover you for illness, lost luggage and emergency travel arrangements.
We recommend that you consider taking out travel insurance for those unforeseen things that may require you to cancel your hire. Whilst we are compassionate towards illness, injury and family loss, we cannot cover the cost of short notice cancellations. This can be particularly embarrassing and a financial strain for you if your friends decide to pull out on you at the last minute. Travel insurance is low cost and will give you peace of mind that if something untoward does happen that you will not be financially disadvantaged.
Travel insurance will also cover you for things other than just cancellations; you can also be covered for lost/damaged/stolen luggage, rental vehicle excess, emergency travel arrangements, medical evacuation, etc. There are several companies that offer domestic travel insurance (a simple Google search will assist) or if you walk into a Flight Centre branch you can take out a policy with them on the spot.
Prices are subject to alteration without notice, however, bookings made previously will not be subject to increased prices. Hire fees can be paid by cash, credit card (Mastercard, Visa), EFT, direct deposit or cheque. Quotes provided are valid for 14 days unless withdrawn earlier. Any questions about these, please feel free to ask.
Hire commences at 2.30pm on the first day and concludes at 9.00am (8.00am for Pacific Blue) on the last day of letting. These are daylight savings times. Earlier returns can be made by arrangement. It is advisable to telephone the day before departure to confirm departure times.
Returning or boarding on a public holiday may incur a fee.
- Total passengers must not exceed the number of surveyed berths.
- No pets – excluding Wanderer.
- Firearms or kegs are NOT permitted on board by law
- The houseboats are not permitted to travel after dark or dock at public jetties and wharfs. Use the tender/dinghy for transfers.
- The hirer will stay within the waters as per survey certificate and obey all navigational rules.
- If the hirer is found to be acting in a manner which could cause damage to the houseboat or other vessels, acting contrary to hire agreement or Waterways regulations, passengers can be evicted from the houseboat with no refund of hire.
- If any malfunction in relation to the boat, motor or equipment, or damage or loss of equipment occurs, the hirer will notify the management as soon as possible.
- If a call out is due to the hirer’s negligence, a call out fee will be payable.
- The hirer will return the boat in as good a condition as when taken or pay for any loss or damage.
- The boat is to be returned in a clean and tidy state, or an additional fee of $100 per hour for cleaning will be charged.
- Late returns will be charged at $100.00 per hour, or part thereof.
- Houseboat boarding is from the Tweed Marina, River Terrace, Tweed Heads.
Still interested? Then head to our Enquiry/Booking Form, we look forward to your enquiry!